These Lifting Mistakes Can Cause a Serious Back or Neck Injury
Before we go any further, remember this: you never want to take on an item that is too heavy for you to handle on your own.
If you find yourself faced with the task of lifting a heavy item, here are a few mistakes you need to avoid at all costs (as well as some tips to follow):
· Don’t bend at your waist. Instead, squat down and bend at your hips and knees.
· Don’t move too fast. You should slowly lift the item off the ground by straightening your hips and knees.
· Hold the item as close to your body as you can, ideally at waist level.
· Use your feet to change direction, as opposed to twisting your body.
· Be just as careful when setting down the item, once again squatting as opposed to bending over.
Even if you do these things, there is no guarantee you won’t injure your neck or back. However, you definitely put yourself in position to avoid a serious injury.
If you find yourself in pain, don’t hesitate to seek medical attention. You don’t want to assume that you will heal without medical guidance, as this could make your problem worse in no time.