Spinal Trauma: Things You Need to Know
As the name suggests, spinal trauma consists of damage to the spinal cord. In addition to direct damage to the spinal cord, it can also be caused by disease associated with nearby blood vessels, tissues, and/or bones.
There are many causes of spinal trauma, with the following among the most common:
· Motor vehicle accident
· Sports injury
· Gunshot wound
Damage to the spinal cord can be the result of the following:
· Pulling, pressing, or compression of the neck, back, or head during an accident.
· Bruising as the result of the disks or bones being weakened.
· Fragments of bone that makes their way to the spinal cord.
The symptoms of spinal trauma can and will differ from one person to the next. For example, there’s a big difference between a minor and major injury. Even so, any injury to the spinal cord can result in the following:
· Weakness, often accompanied by paralysis
· Loss of bladder and bowel control
In the event that you suffer any type of spinal trauma, it’s imperative to learn more about your injury and the many ways it can be treated. With the right treatment and long term approach, it’s possible to regain control of your life.