Questions for Your Surgeon Before Back Surgery
Back surgery is a big deal. Even if you’re looking forward to the end result, you’re likely to have concerns about the procedure itself, what happens next, and your long-term health.
With this in mind, it’s a good idea to ask your surgeon any questions that are weighing you down. By doing so, you gain a better understanding of the details surrounding your procedure, which can help reduce your stress level.
While no two people will ask the same questions, here are a few that you can start with:
• Is surgery my best option at this point?
• What steps should I take to prep for my procedure?
• What are the risks of the procedure?
• How long will the procedure take?
• What should I expect upon waking up after the procedure?
• When will I be able to walk after the procedure?
• Should I expect to be in a lot of pain?
• How long does the recovery period typically last?
• Will I see you over the days following the surgery?
Answers to these questions are likely to lead to others, so don’t hesitate to add those into the conversation.
There’s no such thing as a dumb question, so don’t hesitate to have an open conversation with your surgeon.
Virginia Spine Specialists is an award-winning, minimally invasive spinal care practice with locations in Fredericksburg, VA and Manassas, VA. We also serve these Northern and Central Virginia locations: Haymarket, Gainesville, Culpepper, Front Royal, Spotsylvania, Stafford, Colonial Beach, Tappahannock and Lake Anna.