What to do Immediately Following a Back Injury
What would you do if you were to suffer a back injury? Would you know which steps to take, or would you simply hope for the best?
While no two people or injuries are exactly the same, there are a few things you should immediately do if you suffer any type of back injury. Here are five steps you absolutely need to take:
· Stop and stay where you are. Don’t try to “fight through the pain,” as this can worsen your injury and make for a longer recovery period.
· Move to a comfortable spot, such as a chair, if possible.
· If it’s a serious injury, such as one in which you can’t stand up or walk, call an ambulance for immediate help.
· Pinpoint the problem and treat at home. If you’re able to move, it’s time to pinpoint what went wrong and consider your treatment options. For example, you can benefit from applying ice to a strained muscle.
· See a back specialist. Even if you treat yourself at home immediately following the injury, you should still schedule an appointment with a back specialist. This will ensure that you understand the extent of your injury, the best treatment, and how to avoid trouble in the future.
If you ever suffer a back injury, regardless of the cause, be sure to follow these steps. They’ll go a long way in keeping you safe as you begin your road to recovery.